Monday, October 16, 2006

Becoming a CFI

Well I met with George to discuss becoming a CFI. He gave me some study recommendations and a list of "must have" books that I'm ordering from Marv Golden as I type this (see the list below). It seems like the steps to becoming a CFI are great steps even for those who never plan on teaching. The amount of material you'll learn and the level of understanding you'll achieve (hopefully) will most definitly make YOUR flying better.

I've always found that I learn the most amount of material and achieve the highest level of understanding when I try teaching someone else. It forces you to understand a topic so completely that you can convey this same level of understanding to someone who does not have your experience. A good teacher will be able to adjust their explanation to people of different backgrounds and get them to understand your point. I think a good teacher is able to create parallels using the "students" non-aviation background to get them to understand aviation concepts.

Here's a list of the books I'm purchasing:
  • Aviation Instructor's Handbook
  • Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
  • Airplan Flying Handbook
  • CFI-A Practical Test Standards

No comments: